Thursday, January 31, 2013

Blog Post #3

Peer Editing

The video, "What is Peer Editing", explained what peer editing is and informed on the three major steps to peer editing.

1.) Compliments: Stay Positive! 2.) Give Suggestions. 3.) Corrections: spelling, punctuation, etc.

 It is important to remember these steps. The whole point to peer editing is for you and your peers to improve your work together. No need to be negative! In the video, "Top 10 Peer Review Mistakes", it gave you the classic mistakes people make while peer editing. The kids in the video did a wonderful job at portraying their roles. I have known a few "Whatever Williams" and "Mean Margerets" in my school days. If you're not careful you can really offend or hurt someones feelings.

In my C4C #2 it was my job to critique a girls blog. She had very good thoughts and I agreed with a lot of her personal opinions about technology. I remembered to look back at the three steps that was taught to me in the videos. I followed all three! I suggested to her that she could use a little bit more organization in her sentences, because some of them were a little confusing.

Assistive Technologies

Assistive technologies are important and do impact children and their learning experience. Especially if the children are vision or hearing impaired. In the first video it states that assistive technologies enhances learning, removes barriers, pushes boundaries, gives hope, and challenges the way we think. It is important the we are prepared to not just teach children without problems but with problems also. Every child should have the same opportunity to learn, discover, and explore. Some examples of assistive technologies are ipads, text telephones, and sensory aids.

The Mountbatten Brail writer is an amazing tool for the blind. It lets the learner give audio and textile feedback. It's so advanced that it can receive, send, and transfer files from a computer. If I could learn to use this machine myself, it would definitely be something I would try to incorporate into my classroom. I believe it's important for every child to have the right to learn and grow in the same way.

Watching the video on teaching mathematics to the blind blew my mind. I can't even learn to do math with great eye sight. Learning with no sight must be the most challenging thing. I loved the video for ipad usage for the blind. I can believe that it is a wonderful resource for the blind. There are so many different Apps and ways to learn. It's simply amazing. Gotta love Apple!

Harness Your Students Digital Smarts

I think that Vicki Davis must be an incredible teacher. She wants so much for her students to learn and teach themselves and even teach her! In her video, "Harness Your Students Digital Smarts", it's clear how much the children are learning, and how much they are enjoying learning. I, myself, have never had a teacher like that! Maybe besides Dr.Strange! But I mean growing up. It was always a pencil and paper world. Never cellphones, computers, or other forms of technology. Which I feel is very important.

I believe children really want to learn, but can't because when they walk in a classroom and it's just completely boring, it's also completely useless. I love that not just the children are learning, but the teacher is too. Technology is growing more and more everyday and all we can do is to try to keep up.



1 comment: