Thursday, January 24, 2013

Blog Post #2

Did You Know?

Well I must say that I didn't know. The video, Did You Know? 3.0 - A John Strange 2012 Version, clued me in on some information that I wasn't aware of. Like how the Chinese will have more English speakers than the rest of the world combined. Or the number of people that are on YouTube at the exact same time. Or the number of Google searches in a minute,(1,398,498). Now that's just hard to believe! The cellphone and computer facts don't surprise me as much. It's not hard to believe that most people have computers in their homes these days. I think it is more uncommon if you don't.

But the question still remains. Am I ready to be an educator? The answer is YES, I AM. I believe I can keep up with the technologically advancing world. In fact I think it is my duty too. I know I will do my best and try my hardest to prepare my students.

Mr. Winkle Wakes

I thought Mr. Winkle Wakes was hilarious. This video was made so you could see just how many things have changed, and also how some things haven't. So many things have changed in one-hundred years you couldn't possibly even begin to list them. Yet, the traditional school setting really hasn't. The methods are all generally the same. Are the students still learning? Maybe to an extent. I believe we should use different tools and technologies to not just teach them, but to really make them learn. This can only happen, if we as educators, make it happen.

The Importance of Creativity

Does school kill creativity? In Ken Robinsons' video on TED website he gives many different insights on education and its importance. The quote that stuck with me the most from him is that we don't grow into creativity, we grow out of it. I find that very true. Why is math so much more important than dance? Or science more important than art? We limit children from doing these things that society frowns upon, when we should really be encouraging it. We should create a system that helps creativity grow instead of pushing it to the side because "it doesn't pay enough", or "you will never get a job".

Thinking back that may have been what happened to me. My mama told me all of my life,"You will be a teacher. You will go to college." It was always engrained and pushed into my head. And yet it is still something I feel passionate about. I feel as human beings, we all have a creative side. It is a matter of what we choose to do with it that counts. As Mr. Robinson said,"The gift of Imagination should be used wisely."

Pinterest

I just have to say first that I absolutely love Pinterest. It's a wonderful website that inspires creativity and let's just say it, keeps you very occupied. I have found myself staying on there for hours at a time. Before reading the article, "Four Ways to Use Pinterest in Education", I had already planned to use this website in my teaching strategies. There are just so many different things on this website that are offered. I have had my account created since last year, and I have to warn you, if you don't have one now, prepare to get addicted.

I followed a lot of the boards that were suggested in the, "Top 20 Pinterest Boards for Education." I really liked Jenny Hoffmans. A lot of her pins connected me to very useful websites. Pinterest will definitely be a resource I use when I become a teacher. It's helpful and inspiring. It's different and creative. It will help the students and myself with technology, projects, and fun activities. I look forward to using this resource in my everyday lesson plans and organization skills.

1 comment:

  1. First, let me just say that I really did enjoy reading your post. It looks as though you watched the videos as assigned and maybe even did some note taking while doing so (I did as well). However, I cannot help the fact that as I was reading questions such as how and why kept popping up in my head. For example, how do you intend to keep up with the technology advancing world, how can we create a system that helps creativity grow, and how and why will Pinterest help you and your students with technology exactly, just to name a few.

    ReplyDelete